Skip to main content

Antoine Semenyo Has No England Regrets Ahead of World Cup Showdown: "I Could Never Say No To Ghana"

 Antoine Semenyo, England, Ghana, Black Stars, 2026 World Cup,England-born Antoine Semenyo insists he has never once regretted choosing Ghana over the Three Lions as he prepares to face his country of birth in one of the standout fixtures of the World Cup group stage.

Antoine Semenyo, the new Global Brand Ambassador for Ahmad Tea commented: "I got a call from Ghana when I was 20 or 21, I could never say no to that. I’ve already got to represent my country at a World Cup and now I’m heading into my second one. I was never in the England underage teams so never thought of it as a possibility. My family also love Ghana, they all support them. My dad was so proud when I played for Ghana. I’m creating memories playing for a country that means a lot to me. It was an easy decision back then and one I’m proud of today."

Having grown up in England, the Manchester City forward knows exactly what the Three Lions are up against whenever a major tournament comes around.

Massively. Every major tournament, you hear the noise. ‘Will this be the one to end the years of hurt?’ and the media coverage is insane. That’s a lot of pressure but it is similar for other countries too."

Despite acknowledging England's quality and chances of winning the tournament, Semenyo is hoping Ghana can spring one of the biggest upsets so far.

Can they? Of course. They’ve got some sensational players and can go all the way. Will they? It’s tough as there are so many talented players and so many competitive nations. I hope Ghana can stop them."

Victory over England would be one of the biggest results in Ghana's recent history and Semenyo believes it would prove the Black Stars can compete with anyone. On what victory would mean, Semenyo said: "Huge. As I said, we believe we can give anyone a game and to go out there and beat a team like England would send a real message that we mean business at the World Cup. It will be difficult, they’re one of the favourites, but we have a good team and nothing is impossible."

The fixture will also reunite Semenyo with several familiar faces from Manchester City, although friendship will be put to one side once the whistle blows.

I’ve told Nico [O’Reilly], Marc [Guehi] and John [Stones] I’m coming for them! There will probably be some banter in the build up to the game and it will be great to go up against them. Obviously I’ve played against them for Bournemouth before and trained so much with them at City now so I know what to expect but this is a whole new stage. It will be great to see them, James [Trafford] is obviously in the squad too, but as close as we are, I’m playing to win. As I’m absolutely certain they will be too."

For Semenyo, there may be familiar faces in the opposition dressing room, but there will be no divided loyalties when Ghana and England meet on football's biggest stage. Beating one of the tournament favourites would not only be a memorable moment for the Black Stars, but one that could send a powerful message to the rest of the competition.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NESCAFÉ Launches Real Vibes Text & Win Promo to Reward Coffee Consumers Across Ghana

 NESCAFÉ has launched the Real Vibes Text & Win Promo, an exciting consumer promotion designed to reward loyal coffee lovers and bring the brand’s My Coffee, My Vibe experience even closer to consumers across the country. Running from September to December, the promotion gives consumers the opportunity to enjoy their favourite NESCAFÉ coffee while standing a chance to win exciting prizes, including phones, motorcycles, airtime and the ultimate grand prize—an electric SUV. Speaking at the launch, Lily Ntim, Category Development Manager for NESCAFÉ, said the promotion reflects NESCAFÉ’s commitment to creating, rewarding and memorable experiences for consumers. “Today, we are excited to introduce the NESCAFÉ Real Vibes Text & Win Promo, a campaign designed to bring the My Coffee, My Vibe experience even closer to our consumers,” she said. She added that the campaign is not only about prizes, but also about celebrating the everyday moments consumers enjoy with their coffee. “T...

Ghana Home Loans

With interest rates declining, a more liquid environment and a macroeconomic stability, mortgage financing is expected to see an ease of credit. And Ghana Home Loans being a leader in this industry is expected to lead the way. Ghana Home Loans (GHL), a leader in home mortgage, continues to be the frontier in fulfilling dreams of many Ghanaians in homeownership. Since starting business in 2006, it has also provided many existing homeowners with Equity Release mortgages to support their businesses, pay educational fees, improve their properties, or simply pursue other personal hobbies and interests. Ghana Home Loans is a mortgage finance institution which operates under Bank of Ghana’s supervision as a non-bank financial institution. At present, the Company remains the only such institution that focuses exclusively on the provision of mortgage product. Through the Home Completion mortgage and Home Construction mortgage products, Ghana Home Loans has enabled many qualified applican...

Tender Committee recommends E&P for Damang Mine lease transfer

  A Tender Committee has recommended the grant of the mining lease for the Damang Gold Mine to Engineers and Planners Limited, following a competitive evaluation process conducted by the Minerals Commission. The recommendation comes after a tender process initiated under Regulation 258 of the Minerals and Mining (Licensing Regulations), 2012 (LI 2176), aimed at selecting a strategic investor to take over the mining lease and operations of the Damang mine. According to the report, four companies responded to the public tender announced in the media. Out of these, two firms were shortlisted by the Mineral Titles Department of the Minerals Commission and subsequently submitted to the Tender Committee for detailed assessment. After what was described as a comprehensive evaluation, Engineers and Planners Limited emerged as the highest evaluated bidder, leading to the Committee’s recommendation for the award of the lease. Gold Fields Ghana Limited, which has operated in the country since...