Skip to main content

Ghana seeks INTERPOL warrant for Russian national in online exploitation case

 


The Minister for Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations, Sam Nartey George, has announced that Ghana’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) is taking steps to secure an international arrest warrant through INTERPOL for a Russian national accused of publishing sexually explicit images and videos of Ghanaian women without their consent.

Speaking to the media on Wednesday, February 18, the Minister described the suspect’s actions as “atrocious conduct” and said the government would pursue all legal avenues to ensure accountability.

This is a serious violation of our laws and the dignity of our citizens. We will not allow anyone to exploit Ghanaian women and hide behind borders,” Sam George stated.

The move follows formal complaints by several women who appeared in a viral video involving the suspect. According to the Minister, the reports triggered immediate investigations by the CID and other relevant state agencies.

He explained that online speculation surrounding the suspect’s identity had been put to rest after official verification.

Checks conducted through his passport have confirmed that he is a Russian national, contrary to earlier rumours circulating on social media,” he noted.

The Minister said investigators are currently working with the Ghana Police Service and financial and cybersecurity agencies to gather evidence and prepare documentation for international cooperation.

Before the announcement, the government summoned officials from the Russian Federation to express concern over the alleged unlawful conduct and to demand cooperation in the investigations.

The case gained national attention after a video went viral on social media, showing a man identified as Yaytseslav interacting with several Ghanaian women. Some of the women were later reported to have accompanied him to his hotel.

The footage sparked widespread public outrage, with many calling for swift action against online sexual exploitation and the abuse of digital platforms.

Sam George stressed that the case highlights the growing challenge of cybercrime and digital abuse in Ghana, adding that government remains committed to protecting victims.

He also warned members of the public against sharing or circulating the explicit content.

Anyone who downloads, forwards, or monetises these materials is equally breaking the law and will be dealt with,” he said.

The Ministry says it will continue to update the public as investigations progress, while working with international partners to ensure justice is served.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenpong Travel & Tours Champions Breast Cancer Awareness During Customer Week

  As part of activities to mark Customer Week, Kenpong Travel & Tours, a leading travel agency in Ghana, is joining the global fight against breast cancer. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the company is passionate about spreading hope and support to those affected. At Kenpong Travel & Tours, we believe that travel and exploration can be therapeutic and empowering. That's why we're committed to supporting our customers and the broader community in the fight against breast cancer. We're proud to stand in solidarity with breast cancer warriors and survivors. At Kenpong Travel & Tours, we believe that everyone deserves a chance to explore the world and create unforgettable memories. Let's prioritize health, support one another, and fight against breast cancer," said Kennedy Agyapong, CEO of Kenpong Travel & Tours. Our efforts are focused on raising awareness, promoting early detection, and supporting those affected by breast cancer. We urg...

Mfantsiman Girls to Host 65th Speech & Prize-Giving Day

  Mfantsiman Girls Senior High School is set to host the 65th Speech and Prize-giving Day and Homecoming from 14th to 16th March at Saltpond in the Central region. This year’s Speech and Prize-giving day is being hosted by the 2000-year group, and over 5000 old girls and students of Mfantsiman Girls are expected to attend the programme. Under the theme, ‘Leveraging New Media Technology to Optimize Girl Child Education,’ the event will emphasize the importance of harnessing technology to address the unique challenges faced by girls in accessing quality education, particularly in marginalized communities. By leveraging new media technology, we can create inclusive, interactive, and engaging learning environments that empower girls to reach their full potential. The theme will also serve as a call to action, encouraging students, educators, and stakeholders to explore innovative ways to integrate technology into girl child education, ultimately driving positive change and promoting a...

E&P takes over Black Volta and Sankofa Gold projects after years of delay

 Indigenous mining firm Engineers & Planners (E&P) has acquired Azumah Resources Ghana Ltd and Upwest Resources Ghana Ltd, taking full control of the long-stalled Black Volta and Sankofa gold concessions in the Upper West Region. The transaction, registered with the Registrar of Companies and approved by the Minerals Commission, ends nearly two decades of under-investment, legal disputes, and capital shortfalls that kept the concessions dormant. With global gold prices trading above $3,000 per ounce, the move comes at a time when Ghana is seeking fresh mining revenue to support its IMF-backed fiscal consolidation programme. E&P announced that it has secured funding to begin mine development and has committed to repaying verified debts associated with the projects. Ghana travel guide The company outlined a structured plan that includes: Working with the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) to audit and confirm loans previously recorded as project investments. Repaying genuine d...